Museum of Contemporary Art (MARCO). Vigo
Necso Entrecanales Cubiertas, S.A.


Designed in 1861 and completed in 1880. Planned to hold together the Courts and Jail, its typology belongs to radial Panopticon. It has two floors above ground which was later added a third in the rear, creating a new facade with a new access.
Reserve activities, restoration, and the care and handling of works in transit, are in a new basement floor, which will also house facilities and staff areas.
This plant is thus the base of the area visible to the public.  There, the front body will house free access uses such as café, shop and auditorium on the ground floor, serving as lobby of the exhibition area too.
It is therefore the central panopticon, through its cylindrical design of sturdy granite stonework, the current entrance to the Museum, moving the façade of the building to its centre, from which the three galleries start radially and from which you access the four courtyards defined by those with the front body and the perimeter. The centrality is emphasized with the emptying of the first cylinder and top with a dome.
The galleries become clear spaces, open up and qualifying the original input light axial zenith with the construction of longitudinal lanterns equipped with shutters facades. The ancient walls were empty of matter, becoming walls of natural light filtered from his coronation.



Project Implementation of Structure and Facilities